Simply put – the best domain name for your business is your exact business name in .com. That’s why the world’s biggest companies all own their name in .com. Think apple.com – amazon.com – tesla.com.
When it comes to a domain name, it’s extremely important what’s on each side of the dot.
Right of the dot is the extension (.com, .com.au, .org, etc). The default extension in everyone’s mind is .com. This is the best extension. If it is already taken you have to settle for the next best thing.
Left of the dot is ideally your exact business name. Hopefully your business name is a good brand in general (short, easy to spell, memorable, etc).
Say for example you’re a computer repair service and your business name is “Compucare”. If compucare.com is taken – you will need to compromise left, right or both sides of the dot.
Examples of possible compromises if your .com is taken:
- compucare.net << Not too bad, but traffic will be lost to the .com.
- compucare.com.au << OK if you’re an Australian based business and always will be Australian based.
- CompucareSystems.com << OK but you will always be in the shadows of the Compucare.com brand. Customers will sometimes try to find you at compucare.com,
- KompuKare.com << Mis-spellings create another barrier for customers to find you. They have to remember your brand plus which letters are mis-spelled.
- compu-care.com << Much like the above two compromises. Stay away from hyphens.
- compucare.site << New extensions on the right side of the dot (like .blog, .horse, .whatever) create an awful barrier where most people don’t even know this is a thing yet. This might be acceptable however if the words flow well like home.loans, real.estate, etc.
- compu-care.xyx << Very bad. Looks untrustworthy.
From this you can see the point of having the best possible domain name is to make it as easy as possible for customers to find you online. The value comes from reducing the lifetime cost of customer acquisition.
So with a better domain name:
- Your marketing will be more effective. Your domain name is on everything including word of mouth recommendations.
- Better conversion rates. You appear more trustworthy as people can tell compromised domain names.
- Better click through rates. Quality domain names stand out.
- It’s expensive to rebrand later should you upgrade. Time cost and the domain will likely cost more by that point.
The thing is, it’s not always possible to have the best domain name. It might already be in use or too expensive to acquire from the current owner.
If the domain you want is for sale, then this is a good thing. Chances are the price is negotiable. Don’t ask yourself if you can afford it. Ask yourself how you can afford it. No one ever regrets purchasing a better domain name.